Monday, January 28, 2008

Saying hello...

As I was traveling to Maracaibo, I knew that I was going to be seeing and experiencing this city in a whole new way. This is not a "trip", this is moving. This is my new home.

I was greeted at the airport by 2 friends and one of the pastors from the church. It's always nice to see familiar faces when you get off a plane. When I was driven to the house of my friend, Michelle, which is where I am staying, I was greeted by her family. There were welcome signs, welcoming me to my new home. There was also a great surprise waiting for me. Her family had turned their den into a bedroom for me. They were excited to see me and were very welcoming of me.


Today is a day of rest for me, a day to recouperate from my traveling. It's a beautiful day outside. Not a cloud in the sky (which is so different from endless layers of clouds we have had in Ohio). Warm (actually very warm) weather. People going about their day. People living life.



Here are some pictures of Maracaibo from the view of the apartment I am staying at...

Maracaibo, Venezuela



You can see Lake Maracaibo in the background!

The view from my bedroom window...

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey, I see some green!!!
Glad to hear that you made it and that you were welcomed so warmly.

Jenn said...

Someone from Venezuela has been viewing my blog. It must be you.

Marylou King said...

Hi Jyll,
Sorry I didn't get to talk to you before you left. We just moved and it has been a bit crazy. So glad you are in Venezuala. That is so exciting! And how great to be welcomed like that!
Love,
marylou