Sunday, November 2, 2008

Demon Possession

The next day, when they came down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. A man in the crowd called out, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him. I begged your disciples to drive it out, but they could not."
"O unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you and put up with you? Bring your son here."
Even while the boy was coming, the demon threw him to the ground in a convulsion. But Jesus rebuked the evil spirit, healed the boy and gave him back to his father. And they were all amazed at the greatness of God. Luke 9:37-43


I've read many times in the Bible about people being possessed by demons. I have also seen in movies where people are possessed. You can see it in their body- especially in the changes to their face, their mannerisms, even their voice. I have heard of it happening to people in the present day. And I think I might have seen it today.

Today in the children's ministry we had a boy of about 5 or 6 years old who I believe was possessed by a demon. While walking past the classroom door, I heard screaming inside and went in to investigate what was happening. The teacher said that this boy, M, just started "freaking out". When I entered, the child was being restrained because he had already bitten a few people, was punching, kicking, spitting, and throwing himself at people, furniture, and the ground. When I looked at him, his face was different. His eyes were buldged out, he was barring his teeth, and he was growling and snarling in a very deep voice. He looked me straight in the eyes, snarled at me, and spit in my face.

I, along with a few helpers, were trying to calm him down, but it didn't work. We eventually had to get help from a few men, who carried him out of the classroom so the rest of the children could continue class. While being held by his hands and feet, he managed to have enough strenth to lift himself completely off the ground and arch his back so his back was nearly 3 feet off the ground. He continued growling, snarling, spitting, etc for the next half hour. We eventually found his mother and he did calm down some.

While I've seen kids act out in class, I have not seen this dramatic of a change in a child within such a short period of time. What I saw in his face truly frightened me. One of the men who helped us, who is currently in seminary studying to be a pastor, remarked, "I have seen this before. I have seen this face before. The face of someone possessed by a demon. But never on a child this young."

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

I don't know what truly happened to M. But I do know that we are in a spiritual war and fighting battles with the enemy on a daily basis. I also know that God is the victor! He has already won the war! To God be the glory!!

No comments: