Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pick up a book or two...

I've recently been asked what I like to do in my spare time. This question stumped me, as I had to think of the answer (You would think I would know this). After thinking about it, I realized that I like to read. I went on to explain to this person that I like to read Christian Fiction novels.

I have had to explain the concept of Christian Fiction books to many people here. This is an unheard of concept here. If you go into a Christian bookstore in Maracaibo, you will find books on Christian living, discipleship, etc, but you will not find Christian Fiction. This is sad because it robs people from the pleasure of reading fiction from a Christian prospective.

When I was growing up, I hated to read. I think I can count the books I read cover to cover in high school on one hand. This continued through my first few years of college. My turning point was when someone gave me a book- a fiction book about the Rapture and the End Times- called "Left Behind". I became completely absorbed in this book. I had never read anything like it before. I was excited when I found out that it was an entire series of books. I read the second book in the series, "Tribulation Force", in 2 days- fastest I had ever read a book. I have loved reading Christian Fiction books ever since.

I brought several books with me from the United States and have been reading each evening before going to sleep. I am currently reading a book by one of my favorite authors Ted Dekker called "The Circle Trilogy". This book is actually 3 books in one ("Black", "Red", & "White"). I only have less than 200 pages left (out of the 1184 pages in the book) to read.




I have also started to read a book I bought while in Ecuador- a Christian biography of a missionary, Nate Saint, who was killed in the jungles of Ecuador. The major difference with this book, besides being non-fiction, is that it is in Spanish. This is a little more difficult for me to read, since I have to refer to my dictionary for various vocabulary words that I am unfamiliar with. However, I enjoy the experience of reading in my second language.


I am also reading Una Vida con PropĆ³sito (The Purpose Driven Life) in Spanish. I have only read a few "chapters" of the book, but have also enjoyed reading this book- in Spanish.






Some of my favorite authors are Ted Dekker, Jerry Jenkins, and Frank Peretti. But my all-time favorite author is the one who wrote THE BOOK. Nothing compares to the Book that is living, active, sharper than a double-edged sword, penetrating to divide the soul and spirit, joints and marrow, judging the thoughts and attitudes of the heart! (Hebrews 4:12)


If you have any suggested readings, leave a comment or two about them. This week, try picking up a book or THE BOOK and reading a chapter or two. You may find a whole new world.

No comments: