Monday, March 10, 2008

A busy weekend

As I promised, I would update you on the busy weekend we had here.

On Saturday, we had to go to the airport to pick up Edda. She is from Caracas and she works as a go-between to process the Visa and passport paperwork for people. We picked her up in the morning, took her to her hotel and had a pre-meeting meeting with her to discuss what she will be talking to the team about and to get an update on the process of how the Visa applications will work. We grabbed a quick lunch and went to the team meeting, which started at "4:00pm" (4:30ish would be more accurate). The meeting lasted until 10:30 pm. Everyone on the team got to discuss their application with Edda and we were also processing the paperwork for the church. Lots of paperwork and logistic details. (In other words, I got a ton of homework from this meeting, having to sort through paperwork.) After the meeting, we went out for a late dinner and then drove home. I arrived home at 12:30 or 1am.

I woke up on Sunday morning before 7am to get ready for church. I was told we were leaving by 7:30, so I figured we would be out the door sometime around 8. We left at 8:25. I was at church for my usual 6 hours, leaving sometime between 2:30 and 3pm. Church services were packed and we had even more children for the second service than usual. I worked in the class for 4-6 year olds, where there were 45 children and 1 teacher. We had serveral children on the floor because of a lack of seats. The room is not big enough to accomodate that many children but we had no other choice. It was a crazy time and I don't think the children actually learned anything. Edda came to church and said she enjoyed it. She is Catholic and believes strongly in the Virgin Mary. We were praying for her that she might hear the truth and understand. After church, we went to lunch and were there until around 6pm. Afterwards, I came home and crashed. I was exhausted.

Sometimes I wonder why God brought me here. I know the work that I am supposed to be doing, but I know that God sometimes has other plans beyond those. I sometimes wonder if I am making a difference for the Kingdom of God. Only God knows for sure. However, on Sunday, before one of the services, a man came up to me. He knows me because I was presented to the church when I arrived, but I don't know him. He told me that he had been talking with his mother about me and that I am a really inspiration for him. He told me that he knows it must have been really hard to leave my home and my family and everything I know to move to a place that is completely different- different home, different culture, different language, different church. He said he was proud of me and the work that I am doing for God. This was really an encouragement for me.

I may not know everything that God has planned for me here, but that's ok. I will keep on working for Him anyway. After all, what greater work is there in the world than to work for The One who created the world?

No comments: